American Academy of Pediatrics
Section on Breastfeeding
Chapter Breastfeeding Coordinator
A Chapter Breastfeeding Coordinator (CBC) is an ambassador of the Section on Breastfeeding (SOBr),
providing leadership in promoting, protecting and supporting breastfeeding in their state chapters and
communities. A CBC will work to implement the SOBr strategic plan and fulfill the SOBr mission and
vision statements within their chapters and communities.
Mission Statement: The mission of the Section on Breastfeeding is to equip pediatricians with
education, policy and advocacy resources to support optimal breastfeeding practices and
The Section will accomplish this mission by addressing the breastfeeding needs of infants, children, their
families and communities, and by supporting AAP members through breastfeeding advocacy, education,
and policy development, as well as promoting the systems through which the members deliver
The CBC is supported by the CBC Steering Committee. The CBC Steering Committee Chief reports to the
SOBr Executive Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities
CBCs must assist in the dissemination of policies and activities of the Executive Committee to the
pediatric community at large. In addition, CBCs must prepare and submit an annual report to the CBC
Steering Committee by December 30th. The annual report should include a summary of projects and
activities. Failure to produce a report will result in a warning to your chapter president.
Member of the American Academy of Pediatrics
Member of the AAP Section on Breastfeeding
Appointed by the AAP Chapter President
The SOBr has strategic goals involving advocacy, education and policy. The CBC will help work to
achieve those goals.
Conduct activities that promote, protect, and support breastfeeding.
– CBCs will collaborate with their state Coalitions and their Chapters to promote
Work to improve reimbursement for breastfeeding care.
– Share successful out‐patient breastfeeding care business models
– Work within their Chapter to disseminate the Breastfeeding and Lactation
– Collect feedback about reimbursement issues in their areas
Help the SOBr to provide regular educational opportunities for AAP membership.
– The CBC should work with their chapter to include at least 1 hour of
breastfeeding CME per year at their Chapter’s educational offerings (annual and
other meetings, teleconferences, etc).
– The CBC is invited to participate in web‐casts or conference calls provided by the
– A CBC can apply for grants to arrange for speakers on the topic of breastfeeding.
Build a strong and vibrant SOBr Membership.
– CBCs will share the SOBr membership brochure to disseminate at the Chapter
level (post on Web sites, share at meetings, etc).
Influence and support residency and medical school breastfeeding education. CBCs will work toward implementing the Breastfeeding Residency Curriculum
into their geographic area residency programs.
Improve the environment for breastfeeding in hospital.
– CBCs will disseminate the Sample Breastfeeding Hospital Policy.
Additional Suggested Activities for the CBC
The CBC can choose to do any of the following activities. They are suggestions for things to do that will
help the Section and the Chapter. They are not requirements.
– Write articles about breastfeeding for the local Chapter Newsletters and the Section on
– Ask your Chapter about the possibility of participating in AAP chapter executive committee
meetings to report on breastfeeding activities.
– Work with state legislators and coalitions to support breastfeeding legislation.
– Assist hospitals and professional organizations, including the AAP to develop and expand
Continuing Medical Education programs on breastfeeding.
– Be a speaker on the topic of breastfeeding or lactation support wherever possible.
– Help to identify individuals and organizations that can collaborate on the promotion of
breastfeeding at the community level. Form or join coalitions as appropriate.
– Connect with other Section on Breastfeeding members in your Chapter.