Eating Disorder Training
November 16, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm| $45
The Missouri Eating Disorders Council announces an opportunity for you to receive training in the evaluation, treatment, and medical management of eating disorders in St. Louis from Kim McCallum, M.D. and Stephanie Bagby-Stone, M.D. as part of its 360 Training Initiative!
The Missouri Eating Disorders Council is committed to improving access to treatment, raising awareness, and providing education related to eating disorders. Eating disorders are serious mental illnesses that are associated with high levels of medical and psychiatric comorbidity, poor quality of life, and high mortality. In the US, 20 million women and 10 million men suffer from a clinically significant eating disorder at some point in their life. Eating disorders are a major public health concern in the state of Missouri and need to be addressed, but problematically, access to evidence-based treatment for eating disorders is seriously lacking in our state. For this reason, the Missouri Eating Disorders Council has launched the 360 Training Initiative—the first training initiative of its kind in the nation!
The next component of this training initiative is an upcoming workshop in the evaluation, treatment, and medical management of eating disorders. Details (which can also be seen in the attached flyer):
- 1-day workshop hosted at Preferred Family Healthcare, 1101 S. Jamison St., Kirksville, MO 63501, on Friday, November 16th –registration begins at 8:30 am and training will end at 5 pm.
- This session will focus on the evaluation and treatment of eating disorders including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, and avoidant restrictive food intake disorder. Cases will be used to spur discussion from a medical, psychiatric, and team leadership perspective. Assessment, medical complications, psychiatric comorbidities, and treatment will be covered with a focus on core concepts and decision points.
- Conducted by Dr. Kim McCallum of McCallum Place and Washington University in St. Louis and Dr. Stephanie Bagby-Stone of the University of Missouri.
- Dr. McCallum is a board certified psychiatrist in child, adolescent, and adult psychiatry, a fellow of the American Psychiatric Association (FAPA), a Certified Eating Disorders Specialist (CEDS), and serves on the boards for numerous eating disorder associations, including the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA). She has developed numerous eating disorder treatment programs, including inpatient, partial hospital, and intensive outpatient programs.
- Dr. Bagby-Stone is a fellow of the American Psychiatric Association (FAPA) and Certified Eating Disorders Specialist (CEDS). She is currently Adjunct Associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at the University of Missouri and treats individuals with eating disorders in private practice.
- This training is open to physicians, psychologists, social workers, dietitians, and other mental health providers.
- Cost: $45(which includes the cost to cover CMEs, for which we have an application under review; most licensing boards recognize CMEs including psychology and social work boards in Missouri).
- Hotel block available at Holiday Inn Express & Suites University Area: 2523 S Franklin, Kirksville, MO 63501
- To book a room, call 660-956-462 and give the code MED (Missouri Eating Disorders Conference block)